Published November 2 2011
Thousands of people are diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and Graves’ Disease each year, and many of these people are interested in using natural hyperthyroid treatment methods to restore their health back to normal. However, most people who follow such a protocol don’t receive optimal results, and so the goal of this article is to show anyone who is interested in following a natural hyperthyroid treatment protocol five keys to restore their health back to normal. Although not everyone with hyperthyroidism and Graves’ Disease can have their condition cured, the following factors are essential for anyone looking to benefit from natural treatment methods:
1. Modify Lifestyle Factors. Anyone with hyperthyroidism or Graves’ Disease looking to have their health restored back to normal by following a natural hyperthyroid treatment protocol needs to modify certain lifestyle factors. Let’s begin by talking about diet, as most people eat way too many refined foods and sugars, which will cause problems with the adrenal glands, digestive system, and can lead to numerous nutritional deficiencies. So it is very important to minimize the amount of refined foods and sugars you consume, and try to eat mostly whole foods. You also should drink plenty of purified water each day as well.
In addition to eating well, getting sufficient sleep is also important. Of course some people have sleep issues due to their hyperthyroid condition, and when this is the case, other areas will have to be addressed in order to have the person sleep better. For example, some people have problems sleeping due to high cortisol levels. If this is the cause of the sleep issues then obviously the goal would be to lower the cortisol levels. If something else is responsible for the person not being able to sleep, then the goal will be to find out the cause and correct it. While certain supplements or herbs might be able to help the person sleep better, these usually won’t get to the underlying cause of the disorder.
Doing a good job of managing stress is extremely important for anyone looking to restore their health back to normal when following a natural treatment protocol. Most people deal with a good amount of stress on a daily basis, and there frequently isn’t much that can be done to reduce the stress. However, most people can do a better job of managing their stress. Most people overestimate their stress handling skills, as many who think they do a good job of managing their stress actually don’t.
2. Correct Nutritional Deficiencies. Even though eating well is important, doing this usually won’t be enough to correct any moderate to severe nutritional deficiencies. Plus, most people can’t get everything they need from the food they eat. For example, if someone has a copper deficiency, they usually can’t address this just by eating healthy foods. And just consuming a copper-based supplement usually wouldn’t be enough either, as there are other minerals necessary. And let’s not forget that some people have a copper toxicity issue, and not a deficiency.
Another example of a mineral people with hyperthyroidism and Graves’ Disease are commonly deficient in is iodine. This is somewhat controversial, as some doctors will claim that everyone with a hyperthyroid condition should avoid iodine because it will worsen the condition. But this simply isn’t true, as many people with hyperthyroidism and Graves’ Disease supplement with iodine without any problems. I’m a perfect example of this, as when I was diagnosed with Graves Disease it was determined that I had an iodine deficiency. And so I supplemented with iodine without any problems, and feel it was an important factor in restoring my health back to normal.
There are many other deficiencies which can contribute to a hyperthyroid condition, such as Vitamin D, the B vitamins, iron, chromium, etc. This doesn’t mean that a deficiency in these vitamins and minerals will cause hyperthyroidism or Graves’ Disease to develop, but for anyone who is looking to follow a natural hyperthyroid treatment protocol, addressing these and other nutritional deficiencies are important in order to receive optimal results.
3. Don’t Focus So Much On The Thyroid Gland. Most endocrinologists, as well as other types of medical doctors, focus on the thyroid gland itself. However, in most cases, the malfunctioning thyroid gland isn’t the actual cause of the disorder in people with hyperthyroidism and Graves’ Disease. So while the goal is to restore thyroid function, this usually isn’t accomplished by treating the thyroid gland itself. Since other areas of the body are usually causing the hyperthyroid condition, by addressing these other areas of the body (adrenal glands, immune system, etc.) one will usually be able to correct the thyroid gland problem.
4. Minimize Exposure To Environmental Toxins. There are thousands of different environmental toxins we’re constantly being exposed to. And research has shown that some of these toxins can compromise the immune system, and potentially lead to an autoimmune condition, such as Graves’ Disease. Those who follow a natural hyperthyroid treatment protocol usually focus on eating better and taking nutritional supplements, but most don’t pay too much attention to environmental toxins. One of the biggest ways people expose themselves to these chemicals is through the products they buy. Although it’s more costly to purchase natural products, when you consider the negative impact many of these chemicals have on your health it is worth the extra cost. And besides affecting your health, these chemicals will also negatively affect other people in your household, as well as any pets you may have.
5. Don’t Try To Cure Your Condition On Your Own. Some people with hyperthyroidism and Graves’ Disease attempt to self treat their condition naturally. Most people who take this approach usually end up with less than optimal results. And the reason for this is because hyperthyroidism and Graves’ Disease are very complex conditions to treat. If restoring one’s health was that easy then most doctors probably wouldn’t recommend antithyroid medication and radioactive iodine (okay, this probably isn’t completely true, as they most likely would recommend these conventional treatment methods anyway. But please believe me when I tell you that these conditions aren’t easy to cure).
Many people will take supplements and herbs on their own, either from doing some research on the internet, or perhaps by visiting their local health food store. As mentioned earlier, supplements and herbs are an important part of any natural treatment protocol. But just eating healthy and taking supplements alone usually won’t be enough to cure hyperthyroidism or Graves’ Disease. Following a natural hyperthyroid treatment can admittedly be a challenge, but those people who are willing to take responsibility for their health usually will receive some great benefits.
So these are five keys which can help most people with hyperthyroidism or Graves’ Disease restore their health back to normal when following a natural hyperthyroid treatment protocol. This definitely isn’t easy to do, and most people aren’t willing to follow the above steps, and will resort to antithyroid medication or radioactive iodine treatment. On the other hand, those people who follow the advice given not only can potentially overcome their hyperthyroid symptoms, but will achieve optimal overall health as well.